Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Most Awesomest

Some awesome things are happening this week.

I get to go see Chicago the Musical with my bittiest sister this coming weekend. I was featured in a spotlight article at work. And I got free panties from Victoria’s Secret. Sometimes it’s the little things in life.

The most awesomest, though, was that I received pretty print copies of Quills & Pixels with a published essay of mine very own in it.

I’m in print bitches!


I really thought just finding out that it would be published was the big news. Turns out I was wrong. Seeing words you wrote on real paper that is bound and covered is actually pretty amazing.

It’s not the Best of American Essays of 2013 or The New York Times or anything, but it’s a start. It’s a little peer reviewed publication from UALR, where I graduated last spring. Being featured by my own community has a pretty special feel to it.

I’m a firm believer in celebrating life’s little triumphs. Hell, I celebrate when I clean my desk off. This is more of a bottle of wine and three chocolate cupcakes type celebration with a little bit of dance party thrown in for good measure.

My amazing and deranged friend, Wendy McCloud, is also in the same publication. I won’t go into full details about her, but you will see her featured here as often as I can talk her into it. She’s not only a funny and talented writer, she is also a ballsy, awe-inspiring survivor. She always says that “you can become the person you want to be, not the person you were born to be” and it’s an ideology she accredits with every breath she takes.

This week I'm going to post one of the pieces she had published. She’s a complete show off (dramatic eye roll) and just HAD to have two in there. Despite my resentment, I have to admit that one of them holds an especially important message.

Life is full of surprises, most of them are beyond our control. That doesn’t, however, mean that we are helpless. Our dear Wendy is here to enlighten us as to why we need to worry about something that is completely out of my realm of expertise.

Unfortunately, I won’t be posting her work tonight - but I will be posting it tomorrow. So keep an eye out. You really won’t want to miss this.

No comments:

Post a Comment